Today we have episode two in our Pulm PEEPs and ATS Clinical Problems Assembly collaborative series on COPD. We are joined by Dr. Brad Drummond and Dr. Allison Lambert to discuss COPD exacerbations. Make sure to check out episode 1 in the series and stay tuned for more great content.
Meet Our Guests
Brad Drummond is an Associate Professor of Medicine at UNC School of Medicine. He is also the Associate Division Chief of Outpatient Services, the Co-Medical Director of the Pulmonary Specialty Clinics at UNC, and the Director of the Obstructive Lung Diseases Clinical and Translational Research Center. He is also the incoming Assembly Chair for the ATS CP Assembly.
Allison Lambert is a Pulmonary and Critical Care physician at Providence Medical Group, where she is also the Director of the Adult Cystic Fibrosis Program and co-leads the Therapeutic Development Network. Her expertise spans CF, non-CF bronchiectasis as well as COPD. Allison is also a committee member in the ATS Clinical Problems Assembly
Key Learning Points
- Wedzicha JA, Miravitlles M, Hurst JR, et al. Management of COPD exacerbations: a European Respiratory Society/American Thoracic Society guideline. European Respiratory Journal. 2017;49(3). doi:10.1183/13993003.00791-2016
- Lindenauer PK, Dharmarajan K, Qin L, Lin Z, Gershon AS, Krumholz HM. Risk Trajectories of Readmission and Death in the First Year after Hospitalization for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2018;197(8):1009-1017. doi:10.1164/rccm.201709-1852OC
- Leuppi JD, Schuetz P, Bingisser R, et al. Short-term vs Conventional Glucocorticoid Therapy in Acute Exacerbations of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: The REDUCE Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2013;309(21):2223-2231. doi:10.1001/jama.2013.5023
- Johns Hopkins University. Roflumilast or Azithromycin to Prevent COPD Exacerbations (RELIANCE). clinicaltrials.gov; 2022. Accessed April 24, 2022. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04069312
- Barnes PJ. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. New England Journal of Medicine. 2000;343(4):269-280. doi:10.1056/NEJM200007273430407
- Celli BR, Wedzicha JA. Update on Clinical Aspects of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. New England Journal of Medicine. 2019;381(13):1257-1266. doi:10.1056/NEJMra1900500
- Singh D, Agusti A, Anzueto A, et al. Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention of Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease: the GOLD science committee report 2019. Eur Respir J. 2019;53(5):1900164. doi:10.1183/13993003.00164-2019
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Android | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | Podcast Index | RSS | More