This week, we have another great case episode on Pulm PEEPs! We are joined by Emily Fridenmaker who helps us think through a fascinating case presenation.
Meet Our Guests
Emily Fridenmaker is a Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine fellow at the University of Kentucky College of Medicine. She went to medical school at West Virginia school of medicine and did her internal medicine residency at Charleston Area Medical Center
A middle-aged woman presents with 2-3 weeks of mild but progressive shortness of breath with exertion associated with low-grade fevers, worsening night sweats, and fatigue. Further history reveals a progressive non-productive cough and weight loss. She has a past medical history of neurologic dysfunction over two years and a working diagnosis of chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy and is pursuing treatment in Mexico due to cost limitations. She has been receiving prednisone 10 mg daily and azathioprine. Aside from travel history to Mexico, her social history is notable for prior employment in a candle factory, and for hiking with some cave exploration. She is a former 20 pack-year smoker and has rare alcohol use.
Key Learning Points
References and links for further reading
- McKinsey DS, McKinsey JP. Pulmonary histoplasmosis. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2011;32(6):735-744. doi:10.1055/s-0031-1295721
- Cuellar-Rodriguez J, Avery RK, Lard M, et al. Histoplasmosis in solid organ transplant recipients: 10 years of experience at a large transplant center in an endemic area. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;49(5):710-716. doi:10.1086/604712
- Wheat LJ, Slama TG, Norton JA, et al. Risk Factors for Disseminated or Fatal Histoplasmosis. Ann Intern Med. 1982;96(2):159-163. doi:10.7326/0003-4819-96-2-159
- Smith JA, Kauffman CA. Endemic fungal infections in patients receiving tumour necrosis factor-alpha inhibitor therapy. Drugs. 2009;69(11):1403-1415. doi:10.2165/00003495-200969110-00002
- Poplin V, Smith C, Milsap D, Zabel L, Bahr NC. Diagnosis of Pulmonary Infections Due to Endemic Fungi. Diagnostics. 2021;11(5):856. doi:10.3390/diagnostics11050856
- Wheat LJ, Freifeld AG, Kleiman MB, et al. Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Management of Patients with Histoplasmosis: 2007 Update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2007;45(7):807-825.
- Azar MM, Hage CA. Clinical Perspectives in the Diagnosis and Management of Histoplasmosis. Clinics in Chest Medicine. 2017;38(3):403-415. doi:10.1016/j.ccm.2017.04.004
- Threadcraft MA, Case R. Vape-Associated Pulmonary Injury (VAPI) Presenting With a “Miliary” Pattern on Imaging. Cureus. 13(2):e13385. doi:10.7759/cureus.13385
- Raoof S, Amchentsev A, Vlahos I, Goud A, Naidich DP. Pictorial essay: multinodular disease: a high-resolution CT scan diagnostic algorithm. Chest. 2006;129(3):805-815. doi:10.1378/chest.129.3.805
- Sharma BB. Miliary nodules on chest radiographs: A diagnostic dilemma. Lung India. 2015;32(5):518-520.
- Purek L, Laroumagne S, Dutau H, Maldonado F, Astoul P. Miliary mesothelioma: a new clinical and radiological presentation in mesothelioma patients with prolonged survival after trimodality therapy. J Thorac Oncol. 2011;6(10):1753-1756. doi:10.1097/JTO.0b013e31822e295a
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Android | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | Podcast Index | RSS | More